Wednesday 26 May 2010

When did the change happen??

I've just been to see a dance show... It's late and I'm tired so I'll give more details at another time.

Anyways, I went to the after show reception. It was the usual affair. Lots of people talking to lots of dancers with a small amount of food and drink in a small room....

Very suddenly, I was aware of something. I stood in the corner with a friend observing and commenting on people drinking, eating, talking...

Although no-one knew initially who I was, (and I was fine with that!!) the understanding that this was a world I once inhabited everyday for years without really acknowledging it or understanding the enormity of it hit me. Every type of person I have seen over the years I observed, like a mirror of a past time. People gushing over dancers, dancers trying to find food and drink, the odd people networking, the talk about the show, what worked what didn't, who "felt it" on stage, future benefactors creating relationships with lithe tired bodies... it was all there....

At a certain moment one young man walked towards me and said "I've just been told who you are... I didn't realise..." and it was that moment that I realised the change had happened.

The change, a sudden realisation that I no longer inhabit the dance world as a young performer... I now inhabit the the dance world as a "older" dancer in transition...

And I liked that.

1 comment:

  1. So what do you think? Are you going through the same thing?

    ReplyDelete