Thursday 27 May 2010

I can do it!

I've had a funny old week!

So much has happened... I went to an dance industry event quite by accident, I've been to see Rambert Dance Company at Sadlers Wells Theatre in London, witnessed the razzmatazz of the National Movie Awards at the Royal Festival Hall and I'm working on a presentation I will make to a large arts centre for an event I would like to curate. Not bad... considering it's only Thursday!

To be honest it's been a crazy three months. From March until... well... it hasn't stopped yet! And it's June next week!

Right up until February of this year I was in an artistic wilderness. A void that for me was like waiting for death. I had the ideas and yet I couldn't make the connections. I conversed with people who I thought would be able to point me in the right direction... help me to see a way out of the density of the forest that had enveloped me. I was giving so much of myself to others and yet there was no feedback, no reflective time, and as I was working freelance and primarily teaching dance classes there was little opportunity to speak with other artists about how I felt... Out of the few I did manage to speak to there were those among them who really weren't the right people to go to despite their efforts to be the listening ear...

It's amazing how there are performing artists out there who forget what it's like to bang a head up against a brick wall. I was probably at my loneliest both artistically and personally. It's a time I will never go back to. I will not look back. I will keep moving forward.

So here I am.... several months later with so many ideas in my head I feel like Johnny Mnemonic having to sort out word associations so that I can try to remember which idea is which!

I'd better get to sleep...I got a whole lot of thinking to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment