Friday 9 July 2010

My day Yesterday

I have absolute and complete gratitude and appreciation for my life and the wonderfully inspirational people in it. I want to share with you my day yesterday. It's going to be more of a greatest hits affair rather than a detailed explanation for reasons that will become apparent. I will give you some background and a taste of what occurred…

Yesterday, I took up my invitation to attend the Cultural Leadership Programmes's Journeys and Discoveries Conference held at the Wellcome Institute, in London. To explain a little, Beverley Mason (Powerbrokers, Medar Psyden) invited me to facilitate a discussion as part of this incredible day she has curated.

I was enthralled to hear Gary Younge (Writer for the Guardian amongst other things), Feargal Sharkey (yes... indeedy a Good Heart these days are hard to find!!) Champion for the Music Industry and Sarah Weir speak.

I talked dance politics with Paul Liburd

Talked about writing to Jocelyn Watson

Had lunch with the delectable Rachel Holmes

Caught up with Musician extraordinaire Paul Gladstone Reid (wonderful journey of self-belief and determination!! It was great to see him again)

Was inspired by the Rt. Hon. Lord Paul Boteng (former British High Commissioner to South Africa)

I hosted and facilitated the discussion of wonderful, generous and distinguished fellow artists including O.P. Jain from India

Cracked joke with Sol B. River

And in the evening… I went to see Outspoken Dance at the Lilian Baylis which I thouroughy enjoyed It's a platform for emerging artists of all disciplines… again this is just the highlights.

Loved the oratory flows of young emerging female artists FLOetic Lara and Michaela the Poet

Was excited to see Birdgang, what a joy! (thank goodness dance from 21st Century Britain can still be exciting!!! This talented group of people danced with skill precision, sharpness and momentum the likes I haven’t seen in years!!)

Watched the mesmirising solo dancer, Natalie… I predict she will be a force to be reckoned with in dance very, very shortly.

And now I can take a breath!! And yes that really was in one day and trust me when I say there was far more besides, too much to talk about right now!

It was such a wonderful day of learning, shared journeys , vision of the Artistic Future of the UK and our relationship to the world. It was a personal privilege to host the wonderful discussion and I feel truly blessed that I not only have the ability to engage others in active discussion… I enabled us all to learn from each other in the space of 25 minutes.

The day was an inspiration… I witnessed and traced the journey of the transitional Artist back to when the Artist was emerging right all in the space of one day, in front of my very eyes… I closed my eyes, smiled in acknowledgement of this unique experience and knew it was good.

Now I’m bouncing out of my bed and ready for day two!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment